[DeTomaso] Headlights don't go up, take II

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sun Aug 31 17:20:54 EDT 2014

Yest it is possible, by loosening ONE of the three small bolts the motor drive gear can be pivoted so it goes further into mesh with the sector gear. This is also how you fix 'jiggling' headlights, once they're up. Something different was done to GT-5 headlight bar parts around s/n 9301, according to the Illustrated Parts List. So if the sector gear is bolted rather than welded directly to the headlight bar as with early cars; perhaps a bolt loosened up and allowed the big gear to shift a bit under load? Finally, I'd pull both front wheels and both small splash shields and take a peek in there while someone is actuating the headlight-raise switch. Maybe something like a horn or other part shifted, blocking a bucket from rising.

Any other theories other than something moved somehow and the motor and
   headlight raise mechanism aren't making good contact and I'm skipping
   teeth? Is it even possible to adjust to engage the teeth more or less?