[DeTomaso] Headlights don't go up, take II

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Aug 31 15:24:04 EDT 2014

Charlie,

It's a bit confusing to follow your narrative. You say you opened the motor up, but I assume what you mean is that you opened up the 'transmission' that has the plastic gear inside?  Connected to the electric motor?

The plastic gear (large) has a shaft in the center connected to a small steel gear. That engages the curved gear welded to the headlight bar and raises and lowers the lights.

It sounds to me as though the interface between the small steel gear and the curved gear on the bar wasn't great and at some point the gear teeth started skipping.

While you have the mechanism in your hand you should definitely install a metal gear in place of the large plastic one. Otherwise fate will dictate that it breaks 1.0 miles after you put it all back together and drive off!

Are the headlights free to go up and down by hand with the motor and transmission removed?  (Please say yes!)

If so it's just an adjustment issue. Install a new gear just because, reinstall everything, and ensure the interface between the small gear and curved gear on the bar is super tight. It's easily adjusted. Methinks yours got misadjusted.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone