[DeTomaso] NPC good idea for mileage.

Jeff Cobb jeffcobb1 at me.com
Sat Aug 23 22:19:32 EDT 2014

Thank you for sending.
What you showed us is a fine system for air/fuel vapor induction on its crudest yet functional primal level.
Various systems of this type came out and were on working automotive and motorcycle functions in 1883 +-.
American George Brayton used a device like this in about 1880 to function as a carb and he used a screen
to separate the wave reversal of combustion flame.
Karl Benz first Patent cycle used a vapor device like this in/about 1890.
The 1894 Hildebrand & Wolfmüller used this system and I photoed it at the 2013 Pebble.

Of course this system is crude and in the 120 design years since has become more usable for our daily drives.
What this u-tube shows and we all know is that a well designed steady state gasoline engine is many times more
economical that an engine with varying rpm.
Why can't GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc do it too?
They cannot use this system because it does not provide enough horsepower and drivability.

This is why future cars will have steady state gasoline engine providing power for varying rpm electric motors,
trains have used this hybrid concept starting in 1903.

Gasoline consumed will equal specific horsepower and torque output and only will a very lightly loaded small h/p output gas engine ever achieve 50 +- mpg in daily use. Any higher number would be B/S, not properly drivable and unable to carry load.

Many English cars after WWII ran on coal dust and or wood fume vapors from their pulled trailers.
Many fuel/air types are possible but most people desire functional use over economy.

Thanks,
Jeff Cobb