[DeTomaso] McLain Automotive

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 14:28:27 EDT 2014

> Dan Jones might be willing to make some comments.

I haven't had a chance to finish the full write up and add links to the
video, dyno graphs and pictures but here's what I have so far:

Mark's previous engine was supposed to be a stroker but, when torn down,
turned out to be a 0.030" over 351C with flat top pistons, Eagle rods and a
stock 3.5" nodular iron crankshaft.  Camshaft was a Competition Cams 308
Magnum roller which was being run with 1.6:1 ratio rockers and 0.020"
intake and exhaust lash.  Heads were closed chamber 4V that were filled on
the intake side, along with port plates on the exhaust side.  The intake
was a Holley Strip Dominator with the floors raised to match the stuffed
heads.  Inspection revealed both heads were cracked and Mark needed headers
so we had some we had some flexibility when it came to replacement cylinder
heads.  We ended up going with a set of Ford Motorsport A3 heads and a
matching A331 intake that I had on hand.  Plans were to test the raised
floor Strip Dominator on the A3 heas but that didn't work out so Dave
decided to do some work on the A331.  Externally, the Edelbrock A331 looks
like a Torker:

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l621/danielcjones2/351%20Cleveland%20Stuff/A331_vs_Torker_01.jpg

but has smaller A3 ports and no cross-over:

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l621/danielcjones2/351%20Cleveland%20Stuff/A331_vs_Torker_02.jpg

You can see how much smaller the A3 port is here:

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l621/danielcjones2/351%20Cleveland%20Stuff/4V_intake_gasket_on_A3_head.jpg

That's a 4V gasket on top of an A3 port.  What's not obvious is the A3 roof
is higher (obscured behind the gasket).  You can clearly see the evolution
of the high port heads here:

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l621/danielcjones2/351%20Cleveland%20Stuff/351C_head_comparison_b_exh_cropped.jpg

On the left is an iron 4V modified with an aluminum high port exhaust port
plate like they ran in Pro Stock. You can see the lower edge of the
original exhaust port (painted blue).  In the middle is an A3 port which is
slightly higher with a more uniform round shape, instead of the weird area
changes of the iron 4V port.  At the right is a ported C302B.  Note the
C302B ports start out much smaller:

http://s1127.photobucket.com/user/danielcjones2/media/351%20Cleveland%20Stuff/351C_head_comparison_b_int_cropped.jpg

Based upon the iron Pro Stock 351C heads, the A3 ports were designed by
Jack Roush, Bud Moore and Leonard Wood.  As cast, they have the largest
intake port volume (241 cc's) and exhaust port volume (134 cc's) of the
high port family of Ford Motorsport heads:

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l621/danielcjones2/351%20Cleveland%20Stuff/highport_comparison_cropped.jpg

There's a slight bend on intake port walls to accommodate the pushrods and
the raised floor increases port radius, straightening the turn for incoming
mixture and minimizing fuel separation.  A3s can have a couple of different
exhaust bolt patterns.  Mark's heads have the later exhaust port bolt
pattern and had some previous port work done.  Before rebuilding them with
new valves, Dave dropped in a pair of valves from Mark's old heads and put
the A3s on the flow bench.  He also flowed the 4V heads I could run the
original engine through Dynomation for comparison purposes.  Results were:

 Lift   Int   Exh    Int   Exh
 Inches CFM   CFM    CFM   CFM
        A3    A3     Stuffed 4V
 0.025  13.9  11.6   13.4  14.3
 0.050  34.5  28.6   34.1  25.2
 0.100  67.1  57.4   69.9  52.9
 0.150  96.1  88.8   94.1  80.1
 0.200 135.4 110.0  121.0  99.4
 0.300 198.8 145.3  183.1 133.4
 0.400 245.5 169.1  225.5 158.4
 0.500 288.7 188.6  266.1 174.7
 0.600 320.6 206.2  300.8 182.6
 0.700 343.0 223.2  325.0 188.6
 0.800 353.4 234.1  310.3 193.3

Ford Motorsport A3 High Port aluminum heads and port floor filled iron 4V
heads tested on Dave McLain's SuperFlow flow bench at 10" and converted to
28".  Clayed intake radius but no exhaust pipe.  Tested on 4.030" diameter
bore tube with a valve chamfer like a stock block.  Valves used for testing
were from one of Mark's old heads.  As with most of the Cleveland heads
we've tested, they generate little to no swirl motion.  I didn't measure
the port area on these A3 heads but they should be very close to the set I
previously measured:

 2.74 square inches minimum intake port area
 1.88 square inches minimum exhaust port area
 intake port 2.125" high by 1.725" wide (3.665 square inches)
 exhaust port 1.65" high by 1.725"? wide (2.27 square inches)

In previous dyno testing, the Edelbrock Scorpion performed quite a bit
better than the Torker.  The Scorpion looks much like the Torker but is a
couple of inches taller with a level carb pad.  Since the Pantera mounts
the engine level, Dave milled a 1" tall open spacer to level out the carb
pad and welded it to the A331.  The spacer also permits the porting to be
extended higher up the plenum which allows larger, more gradual, radii into
the tops of the runners.  Dave had previously welded extensions onto the
runner entries when we tested the A331 intake on my 403C.  Based upon that
testing, Dave decided to shorten the extensions.  Several spacers were
tested on dyno with the HVH 1" merge spacer being best.  A simple 4 hole 1"
spacer was also pretty good.

Mark races his Pantera in open road races like Silver State and the Pony
Express but rarely runs it on the street.  With his stock ZF gearing and
tire diameter, he's RPM limited.  A 3.75" stroke was chosen as it would
have acceptable piston speed at maximum RPM while supporting his 550+ HP
goal.  Also, Mark wants to run on 92-93 octane pump gas and with the 3.75"
stroke, flat top pistons and the A3 combustion chamber volume, the
compression ratio worked out to be 11:1 which should work with pump gas,
given the cam's overlap.  Previously, I wrote a program to calculate the
speed in gear at a given shift point RPM, along with the RPM drop going
into the next gear.  Mark's Pantera has the Dash 2 ZF gearing:

 1st gear = 2.23
 2nd gear = 1.47
 3rd gear = 1.04
 4th gear = 0.846
 5th gear = 0.705
 final drive ratio = 4.22:1

He's running 315/35/17 tires with a calculated diameter of 25.68".
Assuming a 7000 RPM shift point:

 Shifting from 1st to 2nd, Fall Back Engine RPM = 4614 at  57 MPH
 Shifting from 2nd to 3rd, Fall Back Engine RPM = 4952 at  86 MPH
 Shifting from 3rd to 4th, Fall Back Engine RPM = 5964 at 122 MPH
 Shifting from 4th to 5th, Fall Back Engine RPM = 5833 at 150.0 MPH

In 5th gear, 7000 RPM equates to 180 MPH.  With the rev limiter set at 7200
RPM, that works out to 185 MPH.  I also have some wind tunnel data on the
Pantera (Ford tested a Pantera in a wind tunnel and the results were
published in Issue 29 of the Italian design magazine "Style Auto"), along
with a couple of other sources for a Pantera's frontal area and drag
coefficient.  I ran the numbers through a program I wrote to calculate
power required to overcome aerodynamic drag and it was apparent that Mark's
new engine would provide a bunch more power than required to peg the rev
limiter in 5th gear.  I also ran some brake specific fuel consumption
figures and it looks like he could run out of fuel at the longer (90+
miles) open road races, if he was WOT the entire way, but I figure he can
coast a long way from 185 MPH :-)

For this sort of application, Dave likes the Reed ULX line of solid roller
lobes.  The Reed ULX lobes are older designs that are relatively easy on
the valve train, so work well in endurance racing and marine applications.
Reed is no longer in business but Steve Demos has the lobes.  I ran a cam
optimization to optimize power between 4000 to 7000 RPM and crossed the
result against the ULX lobe catalog, then ran several combinations of
intake and exhaust lobes and lobe separation angles and sent the results to
Dave.  The cam picked was the smallest one which Dynomation predicted would
be the best below 6000 RPM and close to the others on peak power.  The
simulation prediction was for just under 600 HP.  Competition Cams solid
roller lifters were chosen and, for Mark's useage, Dave recommends just
changing them out every couple of years.  Dave soaks the lifters in mineral
spirits and blows them out 3 or 4 times to get all the assembly grease out,
then soaks them in 10W-30 motor oil before putting in the engine.

Given the sustained high RPM intended usage, several oiling system
modifications were made.  The right side only lifter bores were bushed and
an 0.040" restrictor was placed in the back of the left side galley.  The
previous builder had fitted a plug under the front main bearing.  Dave
doesn't think that helps anything but it doesn't hurt either so he left it
alone.  Oil pump is a stock volume and pressure Melling M84A with a Melling
oil pump drive shaft and a "10 quart" Aviad gated and baffles Pantera road
race oil pan.  Clearances were set at 0.0025" for the mains and 0.0022" for
the rods using Federal Mogul main bearings and Clevite rod bearings.

On the cooling system, Dave made a plug with a 0.100" hole for the bypass
passage in the block.  A -4 AN line was run from the back of each head.
They tee together and run to the suction side of the water pump where Dave
put a 0.060" restrictor so that the engine always pulls coolant and any
bubbles out of the back of the heads.  Dave thinks that can be important in
the Pantera because the engine sits level.

The MSD Pro Billet distributor from the original engine was re-used.  It
had the two light springs and the plain colored advance limiter bushing but
wasn't very consistent so Dave locked out the timing which made the idle a
lot better.  On the dyno, without any flywheel mass, idle was 1200 RPM.
Once it's in the car with a flywheel attached, idle can be set a bit
lower.  Timing was best at 30 degrees.  With this much cam and only 11:1
static compression, it shouldn't be too hard to start.  If Mark decided to
put a curve back in the distributor, it needs to be really short.  An
aluminum-bronze gear was installed on the distributor and the gear on the
cam de-burred to try to help make the gear last longer.  Moderate heat
range "Street" Autolite 3923's spark plugs were used on the dyno.  In an
aluminum headed application, they are hot enough to stay clean with normal
driving and cold start/short trip use.  For race use, Dave provided a set
of AR 3910's which are about 2 heat ranges colder than the 3923's.  Dave
noted that engines can be quite sensitive to heat range.  Several years ago
he had a problem with this in a circle track engine.  The customer had run
the same plugs in the engine for over a season with no fouling or trouble
of any kind.  In the off season he changed to another car with a better
chassis and I also worked on the engine package to find some more power.
He could run about four laps and burn up the plugs if the track was pretty
heavy (dirt track).  But if the track was slightly slicker and had less
grip the plugs would look perfect and never cause a problem.  A data logger
was installed on the car and the difference between the heavy and normal
track as far as the engine went was almost non existent.  The time the
driver was off the throttle was only about 1/10 of a second less on the
heavy track but it was enough to cause a problem where the plug would go
from looking fine to absolutely burned up!  Switching to something colder
cured the problem and they still stay clean enough that he can run a set of
plugs for most of a season.

The Ford Motorsport M-9439-A341 intake manifold gaskets for the A3 heads
are no longer available.  Fel Pro makes two intake gasket sets for the
Motorsport high port heads.  Though 1229 is listed for A3 heads, the port
opening measures the close to C302B heads (1.35" x 2.20").  1265 is listed
for B351 and C302B heads but the port size is listed as 1.35" x 2.22".
Both are "trim to fit" for the A3 heads.  P/N 1229 has round holes on both
ends in case coolant is run through the intake (Windsor block
application).  Both 1229 and 1265 of those are 0.060" thick.  Fel Pro makes
similar intake gaskets in thinner (p/n 12531 is 0.030", 12532 and 1253S2
are 0.045") and thicker (12535 is 0.120") sizes for Yates heads that could
probably be adapted if you need to compensate for head or intake milling.
On the exhaust side, Fel Pro makes two different header gaskets for high
port heads.  P/N 1417 is for the early exhaust bolt pattern and has a 1.94"
diameter round port size.  P/N 1431 is for the later pattern and has a
1.81" diameter round port size.

Dave initially ran the engine on his dyno carb, a Bobby Oliver built Holley
950 HP to baseline against the annular booster Holley 830 from Mark's
original engine.  The Holley 830 is far from Dave's favorite carb.  As
supplied,  it had 82 jets and no power valves.  After considerable dyno
tuning, it ended up with 92 and 96 jets with power valves front and rear.
Generally speaking, taking the power valve out of the circuit makes you
need to add about 10 or 12 jet sizes to make up the difference.  Having to
go so far on jetting usually indicates the carb (size/boosters) selected is
wrong for the application.   Given a choice, Dave would have opted Holley
4779 prepared by Competition Carburetion (Bobby Oliver) with a circle
track/road racing package.  This is about the same as their normal 4779
except for the float configuration and for adding a rear power valve.  This
reduces the jetting requirement in the rear which can help prevent loading
up during a hard de-acceleration into a corner.

The overall parts list ended up looking like:

 4.04" bore Probe forged flat top pistons (1/16", 1/16" with 3mm oil rings)
 SCAT 4340 forged steel rods (6.125" long with 7/16" ARP bolts)
 3.75" stroke Scat 4340 forged crankshaft, SVO (Windsor snout design with
Cleveland main diameter) crankshaft, internally balanced (p/n:
4-351C-3750-6125)
 4.04" bore x 3.75" stroke = 384.6 cubic inches
 11:1 compression
 Ford Motorsport A331 (modified by Dave McLain)
 Ford Motorsport A3 high port aluminum Cleveland heads
 SI stainless valves (2.19" intake, 1.71" exhaust)
 Manley guide plates
 1.73:1 ratio Competition Cams "gold" aluminum roller rockers
 Jomar stud girdle
 Solid roller cam using Reed ULX lobes:
  254/258 @ 0.050" (R290ULX/R292ULX), 0.692"/0.701 less lash (0.024" and
0.026"), 110 LSA, 109 ICL
 Competition Cams solid roller lifters
 PBM/Erson 3850 chrome silicon double valve springs with dampers
  Installed at 1.950", 223 lbs seat and 582 lbs open for the intake, 601
lbs for the exhaust
 Comp Cams titanium retainers
 Rollmaster timing set that's made for the Cleveland block/SVO style crank
combination
 Oiling mods are bushed lifter bores on the right side only with an 0.040"
restrictor in the back of the left side galley
 Stock volume and pressure Melling M84A oil pump, Melling oil pump drive
shaft
 Aviad Pantera gated and baffled road race oil pan
 Clearances are 0.0025" mains 0.0022" rods using Federal Mogul mains and
Clevite rod bearings
 Main bearing size is 1/2 under and rods are -1 to get these clearances
with the Scat forged steel crank
 Romac 351C SFI spec harmonic damper, zero balance
 Flow Kooler water pump
 Cooling system modifications
  0.100" diameter block bypass passage plug, petcocks in the back of the
heads to let air out of the rear of the engine with a -4
  AN line from each head that tees together and runs to the suction side of
the water pump with a 0.060" restrictor so that the
  engine always pulls coolant and any bubbles out of the back of the heads
 Cometic MLS head gaskets and Fel-Pro gaskets elsewhere
 MSD Pro Billet mechanical advance distributor (small cap for Pantera
firewall and rear window clearance) with aluminum-bronze distributor gear
 Autolite 3923 spark plugs for street (moderate heat range), AR 3910 for
race (about 2 heat ranges colder than the 3923s)
 Precision Proformance high port 4-into-1 Pantera headers
 830 annular discharge Holley (from Mark's previous engine)
 Ford Racing polished cast aluminum valve covers
 double roller timing chain
 neutral balance aluminum flywheel
 custom length 0.080"? wall push rods
 Fuel pump block off plate (dyno providing the fuel flow)
 Head bolts from Mark's original engine plus Grade 8's (and hardened
washers) for the 4 extra long ones on the exhaust side

With Mark's carb, the best pull was 623 HP at 6800 to 6900 RPM and 521
ft-lbs at 5100 RPM through my Pantera 4-into-1 shorty high port headers and
2 1/2" diameter mufflers.  The primaries on these range from 16 to 20
inches or so.  Previous testing suggests the engine would make better power
with 3" inlet/outlet Magnaflow mufflers and a cross-over.  Mark's original
plan was to cut off the 2 1/2" collectors from the Pantera headers and weld
on 3" diameter collectors but the dyno results with smaller collectors was
good enough for Mark.  He'll keep the stock collectors and run 3"
inlet/outlet mufflers but may add a cross-over at a later date.

Dan Jones