[DeTomaso] Techno Question: Bung placement on headers for A/F sensor

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sun Aug 17 12:21:01 EDT 2014

Chuck,
As most instruction sets that come with an A/F O2 sensor will tell you,
it must be mounted above a horizontal center-line of the exhaust tube,
i.e. between about 10 and 2.  It should also be a ways downstream of the
collector, where multiple tubes of a header come together in order to
get a good reading of the mixed gases.  In a Pantera this becomes a
little trickier because the exhaust is so short.

However, as Mike points out, there are some nicely placed holes in the
inner fenders of your Pantera.  Not those the half-shafts go through,
but the ones just ahead of those.  That is probably the best place to
install; at an angle that allows you easy access from the engine bay and
allows you to route wiring securely.   That is where I plan to put mine
once I get the car out of the garage and down to a neighbor again.

I'm sure you'll find what we're talking about when you look for it.  If
you still need more, I think we can provide a photo or two.  :)

Asa  Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
& Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA