[DeTomaso] 17-inch wheel back spacing

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 11 23:18:39 EDT 2014

The problem with that logic is the 8" and 10" Campi's were designed for a rear application and both have a 5.25" backspace (yes I am aware the  8" were available on the front of true GTS cars). Here's some alternative thoughts; 10" Campi's fill the rear wheel well on a narrow body car so you need to leave that outside edge where it is i.e. put all the additional width on the inside leading to a minimum 6.25" backspace, but that still doesn't allow for the taller 17" tires and potential fender rubbing.

I think a search will turn up that near every vendor is aligned with that thought and supplying 6.5" backspace on a 17x11 wheel. I had the PI '5 Star' wheels in 17x11 and 17x8 on my '74 and the rear BS was 6.5"

Similarly on the front, yes Campi 15x8's are used on the front so 5.25" backspacing can work, however most aftermarket 17's are supplied with 4.75" as this again helps with taller tires and inner fender rub (steering lock). This is what the PI '5 star' wheels I referred to earlier were and I ran a 245/45 tire with rolled fender lips and yes the tires rubbed on the inner fender at excessive steering lock.

Julian