[DeTomaso] 17-inch wheel back spacing

doug351c doug351c at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 21:58:38 EDT 2014

Let me explain further.

The 5.25" back spacing for the stock 8x15 should directly apply to the 8x17
for the front.  Wheel diameter doesn't affect where the edges of the tire
are for a given tire width and outer tire diameter.  For a stock bodied
Pantera that has had its spacers removed, you can't go any crazier than a
245mm wide tire on the front and sometimes you have to drop back to 235 or
225 depending on the particular car.

At the rear, if you put 1/2 the additional 1" wider wheel width on each side
of the wheel, all you'll get is a wider tire section width near the rim with
the same section width at the crown of the tread.  For an 11" wheel vs the
10" Campy, a 5.75" back spacing achieves this because it is the stock 10"
wide Campy's 5.25" backspace + 1/2 the additional wheel width.  The tire
center remains at the same point on the car with either the stock 8x15 Campy
or the 8x17.  What could be a safer choice that this?

Doug Braun