[DeTomaso] Larry Finch Spectre Air Filter setup

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Sun Aug 10 17:04:16 EDT 2014

Charlie and others,

Spectre website is complete with good info on their offerings.

Spectre Dual Plenum Low Profile - #98599

Spectre 4" intake tube - 90 degree - #9798 This is the welded sheet metal version. They also offer a mandrel bent version.

Spectre 4" collar clamps - #9707 or #9706

K&N filters - #RC4680

To do this you will need to:

Revise stock oil dipstick tube or replace with custom Lokar unit as I did

Relocate right side water bottles, both, to allow room for filter

Cut 1/4"-1/2" off each elbow to move filters a bit further away from luggage tub

Safety-screw rubber filter boots to elbows, place screws under K&N-supplied 4" hose clamps to hide them.
I have found engine bay heat can soften filter boot enough to allow it to slide off the elbow, down onto the header. You get the rest.

Or perhaps use of two more collar clamps would sufficiently resist the softening issue.

Noticed changes?

Performance - ??? Didn't notice anything

I can't find K&N info on total filter material area, but their single 14" round by 3" tall filter takes the same volume of oil as ONE of the 4680 filters. Thus, do the two K&N's provide double the stock filter area?

Looks - LOVE IT!

Some owners questioned the wisdom of the new filter locations as being over the headers.

I countered with the fact the dual filters are actually now somewhat behind the engine, open on 360 degrees, and not confined under the heat-retaining screen or crammed against the rear bulkhead in a low (if any) air movement area.

Seems to me the stock 14" round is really the one over the headers and almost totally under the screen and thus not open to any air but that trapped under the screen that surely collects header and engine heat.

Larry - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ;-)