[DeTomaso] fun rally

David in Durango adin at frontier.net
Fri Aug 8 11:19:29 EDT 2014

Hi kids,

this old man can't remember if I posted this previously . . . . if so, I
apologize for boring you.  Tony always said to drive the cars . . . or
as we say at TPR: "Take it out and play with it!"

(This Texas trips excites me, somehow . . .)

Fun Rally 2013 in a street car named Desire

Five-ish AM,somewhere in the mountains above Durango, a 40 year old
Detomaso barks to life.As quietly as possible (hahahaha) I hurry the car
down the street about 10 houses before I stop to let the oil warm
up.This house is responsible for the speed bumps in the neighborhood and
it seems fitting that they enjoy the idling Cleveland for a few minutes.

Heading west out of town, a fullish moon plays hide-and-seek behind
various mountains and clouds as the road leads us west through Hesperus,
Mancos [1], Towaoc (Toy- yock), Shiprock (home of the highest grossing
KFC in the world) and other wonderful little towns.

After gassing up in Gallup, it's a short rip down I-40 to the turnoff
point for the day full of fun!

The planned route for this trip will lead me down Hwy 191 on the eastern
edge of Arizona and promises, in one section, 112 miles of

http://images52.fotki.com/v642/photos/5/43175/11968482/nikon034-vi.jpg

wonderful driving.I've been looking forward to this drive for a number
of months because it promised a winding drive with little traffic.

http://images55.fotki.com/v608/photos/5/43175/11968482/nikon068-vi.jpg__

Although there are a couple of places in that 112 miles where the posted
limit is 50mph (making a quick zip to triple digits speeds possible)
mostly it is 20-50 mph driving -- you know, lots of WUFFwhineBRAAAAAH
noises! [2]

As one approaches the southern end of this roller-coaster signs of the
great open pit copper mine near Morenci start to become visible . . .

http://images108.fotki.com/v1623/photos/5/43175/11968482/nikon039-vi.jpg

It is just amazing the amount of dirt that has been moved around so we
have enough copper for our little gizmos!

http://images56.fotki.com/v774/photos/5/43175/11968482/nikon041-vi.jpg

Soon after the pit mine, the road winds through the company town of
Morenci and down into Clifton.From there it is only 3 more hours to
Chandler and more fun.

Whew!

Tomorrow: track day!

[1] Famous for its flood control measures, a dyke on every corner.

[2] WUFF = the noise it makes when you stab the throttle for a down
shift; whine = the only timeone can hear the gear drive is on over run;
BRAAAAAH = the noise it makes when you exit a corner -- yup.

Fun Rally Track Day!

(track pictures courtesy Chuck Engles)

It seems every tech session is different, as is every track day.But it
is all for good reason, mechanical failures are no fun for anyone.

http://images43.fotki.com/v1505/photos/4/43175/1969865/funrally20132-vi.jpg

Firebird is a fun little track (1.6 miles) with a nice long straight
section through the "concrete canyon."My first time there, and I just
didn't learn quick enough.It has been 5 years since the Pantera has been
given its head and the limits are much higher than the V8 Miata.

Those with mondo horsepower (over 600hp) were heard to complain about
the lack of traction at the beginning of the straight (start line for
the drag strip) and one could listen to the A group cars fighting for
traction as they drove through this part of the track.One can see the
peeling paint on the track in this image.

http://images61.fotki.com/v439/photos/4/43175/1969865/funrally20131-vi.jpg

C group drivers had a couple of class room sessions at the beginning of
the day -- nice to have some fresh perspective on the activities and
learn a few things.During the day I learned why one is always told to
drive the track and not the car in front of you! (Yeah, just about went
down that primrose path right behind him.)Luckily, that car was "a
little" quicker than mine and had put a few feet on me before the
excitement started . . .

It was a great day, and what Pantera ownership is all about for me.

http://images56.fotki.com/v774/photos/4/43175/1969865/funrally20136-vi.jpg

Tomorrow the wrap up!

Wrap up

I had two tanks with over 22mpg, but the overall average was somewhat
less . . . WUFFwhineBRAAAAAHor
WUFFwhineBRAAAAAHwhineeeeeeWUFFBRAAAAAhbraAAAAAAHHH . . .That, and four
track sessions will ruin the overall mpg.Didn't hurt the fun factor, though!

Renewed some friendships from years gone by, as well as meeting some
folks I only know by name, typical for a Fun Rally?

Kirby, Gray and David talking in the pits

http://images60.fotki.com/v370/photos/4/43175/1969865/funrally20137-vi.jpg

Wish I could do this more than once a year!

Friday I made a quick stop by the parking lot of the Wild Horse to
finish a transaction and a quick look at some of the cars there.Doesn't
look like many folks ever drive those cars!

http://images55.fotki.com/v605/photos/5/43175/11968482/nikon051-vi.jpg

Thanks to all -- I had a great time visiting with everyone!

Below: Stella (a street car named Desire) strikes a pose at the open pit
mine.

http://images14.fotki.com/v384/photos/5/43175/11968482/nikon044-vi.jpg

Where will we be next year?

Post script: Texas here I come!