[DeTomaso] Mangusta insanity in So-Cal

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Aug 4 13:17:46 EDT 2014

Hi guys,

This is astounding:

http://mycarquest.com/2014/08/a-detomaso-mangusta-sold-for-big-bucks.html

I followed this sale closely because I was consulting with a fellow in
Europe who was looking to buy an original, unrestored car.  This auction company
was VERY honest.   The catalog description was taken from info provided by
the seller, who was about as dishonest as you could get in terms of
describing its overall condition.   When the car arrived in their hands, they were
appalled, and they generated a very detailed addendum provided to bidders
(despite what the auction report indicates) showing that the car was rusted to
oblivion, with translucent floors, extensive bondo and body rot, etc. etc.

There were numerous other faults as well, including the obviously broken
windshield.   How 'original' can a car be when it has been painted and had the
color changed twice?

The potential buyer was initially thinking that it might 'only' need $100K
worth of restoration, but the report from the auction company gave enough
information that the fear became that even $100K wouldn't get him on the road,
so he decided to pass.   The overall analysis was that this car was worth,
as it stands, perhaps $50-60K, to serve as a starting point for an epic
restoration.

Clearly, somebody didn't get that memo!!! :>)