[DeTomaso] Fwd: Dyno

Bob Radefeld bob at radefeld.com
Sun Aug 3 19:01:12 EDT 2014

We're gonna miss you & Jim @ SORC this next week but don't worry, no matter
how much suffering it takes on the team's part we'll make sure we drink you
boyz's allotment of the beer we buy with your share of the teams'
sponsorship money!! :o)) Looks like your new engine is gonna be a real bad
boy & you should have a LOT of fun with it @ SSCC next month! We all wish
we could at least be there to cheer you guys on but we've heard rumors that
that scroungy pup might be out there?? HaHaHaHa...
We'll try & keep you guys all well informed of our adventures out here in
"God's country", however, internet connections in the big berg of Arnold
don't always measure up to what us big city boyz are used
to..................! Take Care.

Rowdy Bob & the Gang

-------------- next part --------------

   <[6]davidmclain39 at gmail.com>

   <[8]davidmclain39 at gmail.com>

   <[9]davidmclain39 at gmail.com>

   I'm at
   Here's a screen

   <[10]mlskwarek at gmail.com>

   <[11]davidmclain39 at gmail.com>

   <[12]mlskwarek at gmail.com>

   <[14]mlskwarek at gmail.com

   [22]davidmclain39 at gmail.com

   [23]davidmclain39 at gmail.com

   [24]davidmclain39 at gmail.com

   [25]davidmclain39 at gmail.com

   #5481's new heart beat.A A She'll be ready for SSCC. I'm sorry that she
   wasn't ready for prime time inA  Nebraska (SORC).
   I put a lot of effort into this stuff and I try to do the best job
   possible. A Engine building is so much work anyway why not.... A After
   a break for lunch I spent another couple of hours working on the
   jetting on your 830 to get it to run as good as possible. A I knew that
   if my Holley was close to 20 horsepower better that there was a lot in
   the carburetor. A The best combo ended up being 92 and 96 jets
   staggered with 30 degrees timing on the 1 inch HVH merge spacer. A This
   it running through the Pantera headers with a 2 and half inch pipe and
   muffler I think that should reflect pretty close to what you're going
   to have in the car. A I did some hold and go tests where I held at
   5500rpm for 10 seconds before going to 7000 and even then 30 degrees
   timing was best. A I think that after some new bowl gaskets that this

   <[34]davidmclain39 at gmail.com> wrote:

   The engine makes really good torque overall and now that I have the
   basic tuneup figured out I'm going to spend some time making sure that
   it'll be ok when the engine is run hard for a long period. A What I'll
   do is start a pull from about 5500rpm after a hold of about 15-20
   seconds. A This will allow the head to get a good heat soak before the
   pull and it will allow me to determine the timing requirement for some
   hard running. A I don't want to get too much timing in the engine.
   Dave

   I am just blown away with your results.A The results are so flat across

   <[36]davidmclain39 at gmail.com> wrote:

   For the next pull I swapped on my 950 HP that was built by Competition
   Carburetion just to see what was "in" the carburetor. A The engine made
   the same overall torque numbers but picked up 17 horsepower at the
   peak. A This carburetor is not necessarily the ultimate Holley or

   <[37]davidmclain39 at gmail.com> wrote:

   I've been doing some work on the engine this morning and so far I'm at
   600 horsepower at 6650rpm and 517lbs/ft torque at 5000. A Best combo so
   far is with 30 degrees timing and an HVH 1 inch merge spacer. A Here's
   a screen capture from a pull that I made a few minutes ago. A I'm going
   to break for lunch soon but I think I might mess with the jetting a bit
   and call it good. A This is with Dan Jones' Pantera headers flowing
   into a 2.5 inch glasspack muffler. A Another thing I want to do is
   change the bushing in this distributor to shorten up the curve which is
   way too long. A This will help to make the idle more consistent and I
   don't think it'll make it tough to start hot. A It would be best locked

   <[39]davidmclain39 at gmail.com> wrote:

   Engine RUNS!
   I spent about an hour or so this evening running the engine, getting
   the carburetor adjusted, setting the lash hot etc. A It sounds very
   nice. A I have a few things to fix. A I have a water leak on the big
   pipe plugs at the end of each head which should be easy to fix with
   some epoxy but other than that everything is working well. A Tomorrow

   <[41]davidmclain39 at gmail.com> wrote:

   I think that's a good idea. A I'll do the testing with the "street"
   plugs and then switch it over to the "race" plugs before I send it out
   to you. A The street plugs I have for it are Autolite 3923's which are
   a moderate heat range. A I have had good results from them in an
   aluminum headed application and they are hot enough to stay clean with
   normal driving and a lot of cold start/short trip use. A I'm just
   afraid that they might be too hot in an application where the throttle
   will be held down for 90 miles that's why I also picked up a set of the
   AR 3910's which are about 2 heat ranges colder than the 3923's. A A
   Plugs can be really weird in this respect. A Several years ago I was
   having a problem with this in a circle track engine. A The customer had
   run the same plugs in the engine for over a season with no fouling or
   trouble of any kind. A In the off season he changed to another car with
   a better chassis and I also worked on the engine package to find some
   more power. A He could run about four laps and burn up the plugs if the
   track was pretty heavy(dirt track). A But if the track was slightly
   slicker and had less grip the plugs would look perfect and never cause
   a problem. A I installed a data logger on the car and the difference
   between the heavy and normal track as far as the engine went was almost
   non existent. A The time he was off the throttle was only about 1/10 of
   a second less on the heavy track but it was enough to cause a problem
   where the plug would go from looking fine to absolutely burned up!
   A Switching to something colder cured the problem and they still stay
   clean enough that he can run a set of plugs for most of a season.
   I'm just thinking that after you're done racing the the car in Nevada
   that it would be worthwhile to switch to the hotter 3923's just to help
   keep the tuneup good on the engine.A
   The headers should be here today and my plan is to run the engine for
   an hour or so this evening and get the dyno stuff done over the weekend
   if possible.
   Dave A A

   On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 5:47 PM, skwarek mark <[42]mlskwarek at gmail.com>
   wrote:

   Dave
   Regarding the plugs. When you send me the engine have the race plugs in
   it. I hardly drive it on the street. Too easy to get in trouble.

   On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Dave McLain

   I can do that and I think I have one in stock. A I was going to get

   <[46]davidmclain39 at gmail.com> wrote:

   I think what I'll do is give it a try for the dyno work and then pull
   it and see how it looks. A I always de-bur the gear on the cam before I
   put it in the engine to try to help make the gear last longer. A I

   Please note new email address : A [50]davidmclain39 at gmail.com

   Please note new email address : A [51]davidmclain39 at gmail.com

   Please note new email address : A [52]davidmclain39 at gmail.com

   Please note new email address : A [53]davidmclain39 at gmail.com