[DeTomaso] 5481 New heart beat

mark skwarek ehpantera at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 3 12:08:08 EDT 2014

I have had some issues with my former engine's build. I decided to send it to Mclains Automotive in Cuba, MO. I can't say enough about how great it is to work with Dave and Dan on this project. The results are beyond my expectations.

Dave Mclain wrote:

I've been doing some work on the engine this morning and so far I'm at 600 horsepower at 6650rpm and 517lbs/ft torque at 5000.  Best combo so far is with 30 degrees timing and an HVH 1 inch merge spacer.  Here's a screen capture from a pull that I made a few minutes ago.  I'm going to break for lunch soon but I think I might mess with the jetting a bit and call it good.  This is with Dan Jones' Pantera headers flowing into a 2.5 inch glasspack muffler.  Another thing I want to do is change the bushing in this distributor to shorten up the curve which is way too long.  This will help to make the idle more consistent and I don't think it'll make it tough to start hot.  It would be best locked out but I don't know if you have a provision to spin the engine and then light the spark.
For the next pull I swapped on my 950 HP that was built by Competition Carburetion just to see what was "in" the carburetor.  The engine made the same overall torque numbers but picked up 17 horsepower at the peak.  This carburetor is not necessarily the ultimate Holley or anything but it was built to be a good all around carburetor for testing on lots of different engines.

Dan Jones wrote:

That's with the smallest cam I ran through Dynomation.  The simulation prediction was for just under 600 HP and Dave thought that might be a bit optimistic.  I was pretty sure we'd get close to 600 HP but 617 HP through the mufflers is impressive, not to mention how flat the torque curve is.  Those old Ford Motorsport heads really work well.  Looking forward to how it performs in your Pantera.

Mark
5481