[DeTomaso] Insurance for Track Events

Boyd Casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 13:06:43 EDT 2014

Years ago when I had my NSX (it was insured as a daily driver , not a
"collector" car or "vintage" ) I was covered by Allstate. I was hit by a
Young navy kid . He ran yield sign and fortunately there were witnesses. At
the time  ( the NSX was a 92 with 5000 miles on it and the accident took
place in late 1993. The NSX only came out in 1991 and they were selling for
a substantial premium over list (when new). There were only two or three
repair facilities that were authorized by Acura to do repairs on the NSX  (
all aluminum body and chassis ) no bondo , etc. Luckily one of these was in
Richmond, VA. and I was in Va. Beach.  Allstate paid a small fortune for
the repairs and then I sued for diminished value. Before the diminished
value suite was completed I totaled the car.. Allstate was not happy. The
person that hit me was also insured by Allstate They argued that if they
paid me off for the  "totaled car" I couldn't have suffered any loss do to
diminished value.  I countered their position by saying that I had a buyer
for my car (before the first accident) that had agreed to pay substantially
more then their settlement amount. I did have a buyer and he was kind
enough to appear and testify as to the facts of our planned transaction and
I collected an additional $10,000 from Allstate.  The thing that seemed to
annoy hem the most was the fact that both I and the driver who hit me (in
the first accident)  were both insured by Allstate!
I now have all my cars insured by USAA except my collector car (Pantera)
which is with Grundy. Their coverage is better, the premium is 1/2 the
price of American Modern home and when I wanted to increase the agreed upon
value all I had to do is tell them what the new value was and they gave me
the new premium. One of the other POCA members from the Long Island  branch
had his car totaled by flood damage due to hurricane Sandy and he was paid
off in a very timely manner and  with no problems. He was offered the
opportunity to repurchase his totaled car at a very fair price ( which he
took advantage off) and has since had his car completely rebuilt. He is the
person who recommended Grundy World Wide! I have not had an claims (and
hope I don't ever , but I feel confident and safe with their coverage.
Boyd