[DeTomaso] Insurance for Track Events

Richard Greenblum pantera at austin.rr.com
Fri Aug 1 09:52:54 EDT 2014

Chuck,

My sister was married to a State Farm agent, so our entire family, my
parents, my brother, and I all had everything covered with State Farm.  That
was five houses, 10 cars, two boats, lives, umbrellas, jewelry, etc.  In the
1990s and seven years after I joined the "family plan" and after having
NEVER made a single claim, I received a letter from State Farm saying they
would no longer insure my Pantera.  I reminded them that my brother-in-law
was my agent, and I had three cars, two houses, and a boat, and other stuff
insured with them.  I said I'd have to move all of my business and would
encourage my family to do the same if they dropped the Pantera.  They said,
"Have a nice day."

I was (still am) an Air Force reservist, so a friend at my unit suggested
USAA.  I've seen paid one-third of what State Farm was charging me across
the board.  USAA's underwriter for "hobby" cars is American Collectors.
I've never broached the racing thing with them, but I have 2,500 mile limit.
The year I drove to the POCA Rally in Vegas, I called about paying for more
milage‹the trip was going to be more than 2,500 miles by itself.  They said
no problem because it was a Pantera event, and no charge.  On the way back,
a rock from a truck broke my windshield, so I made a claim figuring I was
going to get slammed.  No change in rate the next year.  State Farm did me a
huge favor.

Richard
Austin, TX