[DeTomaso] Starter Replacement Options

John Buckman jb841 at cox.net
Wed Apr 30 20:41:06 EDT 2014

Interesting thought to use the stock solenoid to trigger the one on the
starter. Why would you do that and introduce another point of failure?

>>>Starter mounted solenoids typically draw far more current than remote mounted solenoids (like the Pantera).  If you eliminated the stock firewall mounted solenoid, and only used the starter mounted solenoid, the ignition switch and the wiring to the starter solenoid would see a significant increase in current during starting (when compared to the Ford solenoid).  Leaving the stock Pantera (Ford) solenoid in the “circuit” will help protect the ignition switch (and wiring) from an early demise.

The wire that is supplied in the DB wiring kit is 12 gauge.  The Pantera’s wire to the solenoid is 16 gauge.

Some of you may recall the ignition switch failures that early Chevy V8’s (’55 and later) (and other GM vehicles) had with the ignition switch going bad due to burned contacts, primarily in the starting circuit.  This was caused by the high current required to activate the starter mounted solenoid.  As I recall, GM used a 10 gauge wire to activate the starter solenoid.

John