[DeTomaso] Starter Replacement Options

Boyd Casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 14:25:52 EDT 2014

Since I an not a auto mechanic nor an expert in automotive electronics I
felt it as a good idea to follow the instructions provided by the experts
who designed the DB starters installation instructions. They work, they
work well and they work better the the OEM parts. The new starter and
directions had worked so well , that they even resolved my "Hot start"
problem that had plagued me for several years!
  I saw no reason  remove the firewall solenoid. If the car were being
judged in a contest that  gave and subtracted pouts for original process,
the missing fire wall solenoid would be an issue .   The DB starter with
the fire wall mounted solenoid  and everything wired  according to DB's
instructions started my  engine (that has roller rocker heads and a
slightly hotter cam then  the stock one ) turns over the engine with more
torque and speed then when the old  when the engine is hot then  when my
old original starter did when the engine was cold! So as the old sign in my
old Harley Mechanics shop used to say  "If it ain't broken , don't fix it
as well as  "if it's broken , Fuck it!" So some where in there  there is
probably valuable advice! But my take away is that DB electrical makes a
goof starter that  is a great price and if you follow THEIR INSTRUCTIONS ,
it works , it works well and IMHO it works better then the original .  You
can spend more money and  you can buy a fancier starter but I don't think
you can get a better deal for the money and unless the car is up on aloft
you can't see any of the polished or chrome parts that you can get for the
extra money. So this brings ti mind an other adage  " Keep it simple Stupid"
Boyd

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 12:27 PM, John Donahue <demongusta at me.com> wrote:

>    I saw your previous post, and you were right, the hyperlink did not
>    work - your most recent one did - thank you. I have a question on
>    remote solenoids: Good, bad, ugly? I think my car has the original one
>    mounted behind the passenger seat.
>
>    Jack

>    On Apr 29, 2014, at 5:20 PM, [1]MikeLDrew at aol.com wrote:
>
>      In a message dated 4/29/14 14 06 25, [2]demongusta at me.com writes:
>
>      As time permits, could you please get me that part number? I just
>      emailed "db electrical" and told them I had a 1973 Pantera - just
>      wondering what there response will be.
>
>      >>>I posted it here the other day:
>      [3]http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-11368-new-ford-mini-pmgr-starter-30
>      2-351-manual-transmissions-3223-sfd0012.aspx
>
>      >Are you keeping the remote solenoid? Seems to me that the solenoid
>      would be more convenient located ON the starter - unless I am
>      missing something - which is normal.
>
>      >>>Bill Taylor gives an excellent explanation of how the stock
>      solenoid is used to trigger the solenoid on the body of the
>      starter.  The included wiring kit has a diagram that does this as
>      well.
>      Cheers!
>      Mike
>
> References
>
>    1. mailto:MikeLDrew at aol.com
>    2. mailto:demongusta at me.com
>    3.
> http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-11368-new-ford-mini-pmgr-starter-302-351-manual-transmissions-3223-sfd0012.aspx

   Since I an not a auto mechanic nor an expert in automotive electronics
   I felt it as a good idea to follow the instructions provided by the
   experts who designed the DB starters installation instructions. They
   work, they work well and they work better the the OEM parts. The new
   starter and directions had worked so well , that they even resolved my
   "Hot start" problem that had plagued me for several years!
   A  I saw no reason A remove the firewall solenoid. If the car were
   being judged in a contest that A gave and subtracted pouts for original
   process, the missing fire wall solenoid would be an issue . A  The DB
   starter with the fire wall mounted solenoid A and everything wired
   A according to DB's instructions started my A engine (that has roller
   rocker heads and a slightly hotter cam then A the stock one ) turns
   over the engine with more torque and speed then when the old A when the
   engine is hot then A when my old original starter did when the engine
   was cold! So as the old sign in my old Harley Mechanics shop used to
   say A "If it ain't broken , don't fix it as well as A "if it's broken ,
   Fuck it!" So some where in there A there is probably valuable advice!
   But my take away is that DB electrical makes a goof starter that A is a
   great price and if you follow THEIR INSTRUCTIONS , it works , it works
   well and IMHO it works better then the original . A You can spend more
   money and A you can buy a fancier starter but I don't think you can get
   a better deal for the money and unless the car is up on aloft you can't
   see any of the polished or chrome parts that you can get for the extra
   money. So this brings ti mind an other adage A " Keep it simple Stupid"
   Boyd

   On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 12:27 PM, John Donahue <[1]demongusta at me.com>