[DeTomaso] Starter Replacement Options

Boyd Casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 19:08:40 EDT 2014

I have had two of the DB starters and I now have the IMI starter that Ken
green mentioned. In my opinion the IMI is a superior starter , the quality
of it's American manufacture  is apparent by just looking at it. It is
considerably more expensive then the  DB starter. I switched from the DB
starter 9Which is made in China) because I thought it was suffering from
manufacturers defects but the problem was in fact that the firewall mounted
solenoid was cracked. The DB "Wiring kit" is just a piece of 18  Ga wire(
with a ring mounted on none end) that is used to run from the fire wall
solenoid to the starter. You also need to move the wire from one side of
the fire wall solenoid to the other side. ( the instructions included are
very clear.) DB also has great customer support. If I had to do it over
again I would probably stick with the DB starter. IT is a PMGR starter and
cured my Pantera's hot start problem for around 25% of the cost of the
IMIstarter. The
IMI sure looks pretty and as I have said very well made. It was much more
difficult to install then the DB With its spacer and rotating ring to allow
various positions for mounting ( there was only one position that would
fit!!).And although people have said the DB stater requires new studs I
didn't find that to be necessary.
I hope this helps you.
Boyd

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 5:05 PM, John Donahue <demongusta at me.com> wrote:

> [...]
>    I had added notes for what year Pantera it was for and requested the
>    free wiring kit.  My order did not mention the wiring kit nor confirm
>    the application.
>    Rob
>    On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 2:04 PM, John Donahue <[2]demongusta at me.com>
>    wrote:
>
>      Rob - Been reading the email on the List regarding your starter. Do
>      you have a remote solenoid?
>
>    On Apr 26, 2014, at 8:38 AM, Rob Dumoulin <[3]rob at dumoulins.net> wrote:
>    >   My '71 has been at a shop forever it seems.  Now the starter is
>    acting
>    >   up and has to be tapped with a hammer to kick over.  Firewall
>    solenoid
>    >   still clicking fine. I leave the country tomorrow and that makes it
>    >   difficult to track this down this week. I am hoping somebody can
>    give
>    >   me enough information to buy and have it shipped from Jegs or
>    Summitt
>    >   today.
>    >   Does a '71 have the 164-tooth flywheel?  Does that change what I
>    need
>    >   to ask for?
>    >   Is there a Mustang year and model I need to reference to get the
>    right
>    >   one?
>    >   I was looking through the archives and came across a few options:
>    >   A Powermaster:
>
>    >
>    [1][4]http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-9604/applications/make/ford
>    /mo
>    >   del/mustang/engine-size/5-8l-351/year/1972
>    >   and an IMI
>
>      >   [2][5]http://www.hitorque.com/Default.asp
>
>    >   The links to the DB site showed out of stock.
>    >

>    > References
>    >
>    >   1.
>    [6]http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-9604/applications/make/ford/mo
>    del/mustang/engine-size/5-8l-351/year/1972
>    >   2. [7]http://www.hitorque.com/Default.asp
>    > _______________________________________________
>    >
>    > Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA
>    >
>    > DeTomaso mailing list
>    > [8]DeTomaso at poca.com
>
> References
>
>    1. mailto:rob at dumoulins.net
>    2. mailto:demongusta at me.com
>    3. mailto:rob at dumoulins.net
>    4. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-9604/applications/make/ford/mo
>    5. http://www.hitorque.com/Default.asp
>    6.
> http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-9604/applications/make/ford/model/mustang/engine-size/5-8l-351/year/1972
>    7. http://www.hitorque.com/Default.asp
>    8. mailto:DeTomaso at poca.com

   I have had two of the DB starters and I now have the IMI starter that
   Ken green mentioned. In my opinion the IMI is a superior starter , the
   quality of it's American manufacture A is apparent by just looking at
   it. It is considerably more expensive then the A DB starter. I switched
   from the DB starter 9Which is made in China) because I thought it was
   suffering from manufacturers defects but the problem was in fact that
   the firewall mounted solenoid was cracked. The DB "Wiring kit" is just
   a piece of 18 A Ga wire( with a ring mounted on none end) that is used

   On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 5:05 PM, John Donahue <[1]demongusta at me.com>