[DeTomaso] Starter Replacement Options

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sat Apr 26 17:18:17 EDT 2014

Do yourself a favor and get a gear-drive starter. Advantages: 6 lbs lighter, more powerful, can be installed or removed without unbolting the right header. There are two starters for Panteras, depending on the mfgr: one for an automatic and one for a 5-speed. Some autos are bolt-ins and some 5-speeds are; the difference is a spacer. If you need a spacer, the stock stud in the bellhousing may be too short. Also freshen up the aux. ground connection between the engine and the frame with a wire brush. I put a McLeod gear drive starter in our car in 1992 and haven't had any trouble since. It needed a spacer. Still starts a smoking-hot 10-1/2:1 c.r. Cleveland 2nd spin.