[DeTomaso] Starter Replacement Options

Al Gisby algisby at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 26 13:14:26 EDT 2014

Rob..i just counted 164. I have a July '71 car, and is pretty much stock.The rest of your questions - no idea - sorryCiao for nowAl#1925
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 11:38:39 -0400
From: rob at dumoulins.net
To: DeTomaso at poca.com
Subject: [DeTomaso] Starter Replacement Options

My '71 has been at a shop forever it seems.  Now the starter is acting up
and has to be tapped with a hammer to kick over.  Firewall solenoid still
clicking fine. I leave the country tomorrow and that makes it difficult to
track this down this week. I am hoping somebody can give me enough
information to buy and have it shipped from Jegs or Summitt today.

Does a '71 have the 164-tooth flywheel?  Does that change what I need to
ask for?
Is there a Mustang year and model I need to reference to get the right one?

I was looking through the archives and came across a few options:

A Powermaster:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-9604/applications/make/ford/model/mustang/engine-size/5-8l-351/year/1972

and an IMI

http://www.hitorque.com/Default.asp

The links to the DB site showed out of stock.

[1]http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-9604/applications/make/ford/model/musta
ng/engine-size/5-8l-351/year/1972

and an IMI

[2]http://www.hitorque.com/Default.asp

The links to the DB site showed out of stock.