[DeTomaso] Good Press on the Pantera

Tom Shinrock tmshinro at aol.com
Tue Apr 22 14:21:41 EDT 2014

If the picture that everyone is asking about is the one with the black Pantera with the lady in the black dress walking a black panther I think I can add something.

I immediately recognized this picture as being from the December 1984 issue of Motor Trend.  I was hooked on Panteras when they came out while I was in high school and college.  Every time I would see one I'd have to soak in as much as I could with my eyeballs and my ears.

After I graduated college I moved to Iowa where the population of exotic cars is low.  As the years went on, Pantera sightings became very rare.  When I received my 1984 December issue of Motor Trend I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw a Pantera on the cover with the  aforementioned gal and cat.  I devoured the article and then read it again.   It had a many color pictures of the car.  The article stated that the Panteras were being imported by Stauffer Classics and being federalized by Kirk Evans (at least the car in the article was).  The article also stated the Kirk brought another federalized GT5 to the Ohio Transportation Research Center for testing, which is the photo in the data panel.

Ironically, less than three years after I read that article I bought my Euro GTS and had it restored by Stauffer.  I visited Stauffer's shop many times during my restoration and saw several GT5s and GT5-S cars while there.  That is how I came to know Cory Gehling (Collectors Choice).   Cory was working for Stauffer at the time and assisting with the importation of Panteras.

I scanned the magazine cover and the pages of the article and put them in my album on the POCA website.

http://www.poca.com/index.php/album/shinrock-tom

Don't know if people can lift the images off the scan for pictures or not.

Tom
5186