[DeTomaso] L conversion front bumperettes

Himes, Terry (397C) terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Apr 19 18:41:08 EDT 2014

Here are pictures of my conversion from the big L bumper to Byars bumpers.

I like'em!!

Terry W. Himes
JPL Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Deep Impact Sequence Team Lead
Deep Impact Spacecraft Engineer & Activity Lead
Rosetta/MEX/VEX Sequence Team Lead
Phone: (818) 393-6261
Cell:     (818) 653-8213
Fax:     (818) 393-3147
thimes at jpl.nasa.gov<mailto:thimes at jpl.nasa.gov>
🇺🇸

From: "MikeLDrew at aol.com<mailto:MikeLDrew at aol.com>" <MikeLDrew at aol.com<mailto:MikeLDrew at aol.com>>
Date: Friday, April 18, 2014 11:20 PM
To: "doug351c at gmail.com<mailto:doug351c at gmail.com>" <doug351c at gmail.com<mailto:doug351c at gmail.com>>, "detomaso at poca.com<mailto:detomaso at poca.com>" <detomaso at poca.com<mailto:detomaso at poca.com>>
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] L conversion front bumperettes

In a message dated 4/18/14 22 25 9, doug351c at gmail.com<mailto:doug351c at gmail.com> writes:

Have you converted your front "L" bumper to the Euro "eyebrow" type?
Do you like them?  Would you do it again?
It looks like they cover the 5 MPH bumper shock absorber hole.
They most emphatically do not.   You have to have a body shop weld
patches in, then touch up the paint.   Not a big deal though.   They look really,
really great when you're done.
>I see Hall has them but don't see them on Wilkinson's or PIM's sites.
Is Hall the only source?
Not at all.   Wilkinson lists them too, as does Bobby Byars.

Wilkinson's bumpers are steel, which are then either painted black, or
chromed.   Byars and Hall get theirs from the same source; theirs are stainless,
which are then either painted black, or polished.   (Fiberglass ones are
also available from PI Motorsports, and Pantera Parts Connection).

If I had an L-model, installing steel Euro bumpers is the very first thing
I would do.

Wolfgang Geisler has done a great job documenting the conversion of his '73
US L-model which has Byars bumpers front and rear now; photos in the
registry:

http://www.provamo.com/Members/Registry/RegistryImages/RTHPNNA05891/RTHPNNA0
5891.asp

   [1]thimes at jpl.nasa.gov

   Have you converted your front "L" bumper to the Euro "eyebrow" type?

   Do you like them?  Would you do it again?

   It looks like they cover the 5 MPH bumper shock absorber hole.

   They most emphatically do not.   You have to have a body shop weld

   patches in, then touch up the paint.   Not a big deal though.   They
   look really,
   really great when you're done.

   >I see Hall has them but don't see them on Wilkinson's or PIM's sites.

   Is Hall the only source?

   Not at all.   Wilkinson lists them too, as does Bobby Byars.

   Wilkinson's bumpers are steel, which are then either painted black, or
   chromed.   Byars and Hall get theirs from the same source; theirs are
   stainless,
   which are then either painted black, or polished.   (Fiberglass ones
   are
   also available from PI Motorsports, and Pantera Parts Connection).
   If I had an L-model, installing steel Euro bumpers is the very first
   thing
   I would do.
   Wolfgang Geisler has done a great job documenting the conversion of his
   '73
   US L-model which has Byars bumpers front and rear now; photos in the
   registry:
   [9]http://www.provamo.com/Members/Registry/RegistryImages/RTHPNNA05891/
   RTHPNNA0
   5891.asp