[DeTomaso] CLUTCH MASTERS

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Thu Apr 17 01:10:46 EDT 2014

One person can change a Pantera clutch master, If -A- they own a pair of vice-grip pliers to clamp on the nut under the dash. Then the matching bolt can be removed from the front trunk without gymnastics. And -B- the pivot-pin snap-ring(s) do not fly into a dark recess where even a magnet cannot retrieve it. This is where the access hole cut in the pedal box comes in handy. To reassemble is another story, and you will likely need a second person to properly bleed the hydraulic line anyway. But such a helper is remarkably easier to find than someone willing to dig around under a dashboard.

   Changing a slave is no big deal , but I don't know how I would change a
   clutch master on the side of the road, it's a two person job ( one to
   hold a wrench under the dash and one the install the master) and even
   then unless you have A a dwarf with you getting under the dash and
   attaching the push rod and getting access to the bolts is a nightmare.
   If there is some "Trick" to installing the clutch master I wish someone
   would share it with me!
   Boyd