[DeTomaso] Lime green project #2321 on E-bay

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Wed Apr 16 17:40:27 EDT 2014

I have often thought that removing the drip rails (at least the part extending down the a-pillars in front) would reduce wind noise in the car and reduce the coefficient of air-drag a little. Note that the worlds fastest SBF Pantera- All Bloomburg's Bonneville pushbutton that set records 10 years ago- ADDED taller rails to the roof to improve the stability of the machine above 200 mph.

If you drill out the pop-rivets that hold the stainless steel drip rails onto the roof, the first thing you notice is, the rails still don't come off easily. Reason is, the roof is a separate panel pinch-welded to the sides, and the joint is covered with windshield guck. The drip-rails are right next to the joint to sort of hide the raised welds. So to make the roof look decent again, you are faced with two 2-foot-long areas that need to be butt-welded and body-worked to smooth the results. Given the thin steel used up there, this is NOT a backyard job.