[DeTomaso] Clutch master

richard boschert theemonkey at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 16 13:48:07 EDT 2014

I received a lot of emails  about the clutch master and options other than original,so i decided to start a different thread to answer what i know are have heard so far.

Original master,no longer available,but Roland in Germany might have some?You can get your original sleeved and rebuilt if you can find a shop still in business.Internet or  Hemmings to find.

Alfa GTV-6;1981 to 1986,will work in a pinch,but i would not use long term as after elongating mounting holes to fit correctly not much material is left on the housing and may break.Have not seen this happen,just my opinion.Maybe try a smaller diameter bolt so less material removed?

CNC master;Elongate mounting holes on master to fit,unless you buy if from Dennis Quella in Colorado who has the correct mounting CNC master.Different fitting and location on end.Must get a 90 degree adapter fitting,bend,cut and flare existing copper clutch line.Get the Stainless sleeved version.Should use a long throw slave with the CNC master as it has a shorter stroke.

Wilwood master;correct longer stroke.Wider than stock and CNC.May have too "massage" the brake booster if you have the larger diameter booster sold with step bore masters.Different outlet location,need fittings and hose to adapt to stock clutch line.Must elongate the mounting holes,must enlarge opening in foot box,unless you get the mounting adapter made by Gary?,link to adapter         http://www.qualityfabparts.com/shop/page5.html

Sacc Restorations offers a Wilwood conversion kit with master,fittings and hose.Do not know if they modify the mounting or have the adapter like Gary.

Ferrari replacement master made by LPR in Italy,carried by Centric # 136.44897,drill out threads on mounting holes,no other modifications needed,but has a square instead of round reservoir.Back ordered,unknown when available.

Replacement tube nut fitting for stock,Alpha,and Ferrari masters,Edelman # 121068.Has the correct amount of threads.Some other fittings are too short.

I sold the Ferrari masters already drilled for $75.00 when i had them.Hoping that when they are available again that i can keep them at that or lower price.I will post on the forum when i get more,rather than trying to keep everyones contact info.

I have the Wilwood master with a stock slave on my car right now.I had a CNC master with a long throw slave for 15 years before it finally failed.

Hope this helps,Richard