[DeTomaso] Carb Inlet

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sun Apr 13 19:41:19 EDT 2014

For one response, pro engine builder Dave McLain ran one type of 'dogbone' air cleaner for a Pantera owner: (below)

Re: How Close Should Airfilter be to Top of Carb??? (Engine Builders Forum)
by DaveMcLain,  Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:39 am

"I tested this for a Pantera customer one time on the dyno. He was running one of those old B&M air filter setups that are sort of a T-shape with two flat square elements one on each side of the carburetor. I tested it with and without the filters and then with a few different height spacers under the filter assembly. It was quite interesting.

With no spacer it was terrible with or without the filter elements. With a 1" spacer it was fine with or without the elements and it did not hurt power on a 425HP engine. Going to a 2" spacer was worse than no spacer at all! Having the carburetor way down in a hole was as bad or worse as having them within about 1/2" of the top, when it came to bowl venting.

It was quite interesting how a 1" spacer helped so much but a 2" spacer made it terrible again. It was weird but it shows how critical this stuff can be and how important it can be to test on the dyno with the same air filter you'll be using on the street or track."
Dave McLain

Note also there are at least three different brands of 'dogbone' air cleaners dating back some 25 years, all intended for low hood street rods. Also note- the spacers Dave referred to above were for the air cleaner-to-carb, not the carb-to-intake. That's yet another variable. Bottom line: be prepared to tune the system, and YMMV.
                                                                                                                                        J DeRyke