[DeTomaso] ZF gear oil

Don Thomas don.thomas.ieee at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 19:56:08 EDT 2014

I had Lloyd strip down the painted case; which essentially was an acid dip;
and that disintegrated the bushings.   The linkage was extremely sloppy,
and found out that we needed to replace the bushings.

Cheers !

   On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 4:28 PM, [1]bflesland at gmail.com

     [2][5][8][11]cwhamm at frontier.com

   >  writes:
   >>>
   >>>    Also what is the best gear oil for
   >>>    my ZF transaxle?

   >>>  among many people to just grab any old gear oil and throw it in
   >  there,
   >>>  but the nature of a transaxle demands that one pays very close
   >>>  attention to the manufacturer's recommendations.  All gear oils
   >  are NOT
   >>>  created equal!
   >>>  In this case, the first thing to do is RTFM.
   >>>  The manual specifically calls for SAE 80, AP GL5
   >>>  (SAE 90 in Europe).
   >>>  7 1/2 pints of the stuff.
   >>>  While it is very easy to find SAE 80-90 gear oil, it is
   >  surprisingly
   >>>  difficult to find *GL5* gear oil, and that's the important part.
   >   GL5
   >>>  oil has specific characteristics designed to work with the types
   >  of
   >>>  synchros that our gearboxes have, which are different from most
   >  other
   >>>  gearboxes, and definitely different from a typical
   >  differential/rear
   >>>  axle.
   >>>  If you go to most auto parts stores, there will be lots of gear
   >  oil on
   >>>  the shelf but none of it will be GL5.  The only place I have
   >  reliably
   >>>  found GL5 is NAPA auto parts; it is made by Sta-Lube/CRC.
   >>>  Here is the exact link to what you should buy:

     [3][6][9][12]http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/product_detail.aspx?id=
     SL24

   >    73
   >
   >>>  It is normally sold in pints or gallons; since you need 7.5 pints
   >  and
   >>>  there are 8 pints in a gallon, obviously it is to your advantage
   >  to buy
   >>>  a gallon jug.  My local NAPA store used to carry them, but I just
   >  had
   >>>  to order a jug a couple of weeks ago as they only have pints now.
   >>>  While you're at it,  you might as well buy a gear oil pump, also
   >  by
   >>>  Sta-Lube:

     [4][7][10][13]http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/product_detail.aspx?id
     =SL4

   >    344
   >
   >>>  Harbor Freight has a better picture of it:

     [5][8][11][14]http://www.harborfreight.com/sta-lube-gear-fluid-oil-p
     ump-

   >    40714.html
   >
   >>>  Using this pump has transformed my life.  Normally filling a ZF
   >  gearbox
   >>>  is a painful experience involving a lot of spilled gear oil and
   >>>  profanity.  This turns it into a breeze.  Just put the end of the
   >  hose
   >>>  in the side of the gearbox (where it's cleverly retained), and
   >  start
   >>>  pumping until you feel silly.  When oil starts drooling out the
   >  side,
   >>>  you're done.  Let it sit for a few minutes, give a few more pumps
   >  just
   >>>  to be sure, then you're really done.
   >>>  Mike (going to change my gearbox oil tomorrow as a matter of
   >  fact....)
   >

     >>> [6][9][12][15]DeTomaso at poca.com

     >> References
     >>
     >>   1. [13]mailto:[16][19]MikeLDrew at aol.com