[DeTomaso] ZF gear oil

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Sat Apr 12 13:12:58 EDT 2014

Thomas,

"And there is no "yellow metal" in our ZF:s, right?"

I think that is not correct.  "Yellow metal" refers to brass, which is what synchros are made of or at least what they were made of back in the day.

I read somewhere that GL5 oils coat the metal better than GL4s, but the problem is that the coating is so adherent that when it comes off it can tear off a few molecules of the metal. Over time this can result in gear wear.

My Abarth guru recommends Red Line MT-90 for my Fiat transaxle.  It is a 75W90 GL4 oil that is recommended for gearboxes and FRONT-WHEEL DRIVE transaxles but not rear wheel drive diffs.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about transaxles to know why GL4 oil is best for a Fiat transaxle but wouldn't be good for a ZF or Ferrari unit.  Or maybe it would be??

Jim Oddie