[DeTomaso] New Stainless steel headers / exhaust

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Sat Apr 12 11:55:16 EDT 2014

That was Steve Wilkinson, who did a co-op deal with Santiago DeTomaso to
make (I think) 500 sets of both stainless and non-stainless headers and
pipes.  They only did one tip angle, but they look great on both L and Pre-L
cars.  I have a set of the SS on 6328, and sold my Mindtrains to put them
on.  They have a more mellow tone than the Mindtrains, not so much like an
old speed boat, as my wife tells me.  They did take a bit of "massaging" to
fit them in, and the quality of the black paint could have been better
(baked off the mufflers in the first couple hundred miles), but the ball
flange mate between the header and pipe makes getting a tight fit at the
right tip angle/alignment a breeze.  If I still had my Mindtrains, it take
them in to be retrofit for a ball flange connection.
Mike Thomas
VP, POCA
VP, Panteras Northwest
Yellow '74 #6328