[DeTomaso] ZF gear oil

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Apr 12 01:21:35 EDT 2014

In a message dated 4/11/14 21 55 25, coreyjprice at gmail.com writes:

> Okay, I just opened the ZF manual for the Dash-2 that I have and it says
> "Mild EP gearbox oils of viscosity class SAE 80 should be used.  Mild gear
> oil types are those EP oil grades which in the presence of condensation do
> not cause corrosion on steel and non-ferrous metal parts and hardening of
> gaskets and seals.  The oils must meet our Lubrication Requirements for
> ZF-Transmission Nr. 13-118.  Under these conditions, EP gear oils SAE 80
> corresponding to specification MIL-L-2105 (A) can be used.  In case of doubt,
> check with the oil supplier or ask our after sales service for the
> ZF-Lubrication List for ZF Synchro Gearboxes".
>
> I didn't see any reference to GL-5 in that but I'm not an expert.
>

>>>You're reading the wrong book!   The ZF recommendation is very specific
but also very vague.   They say the oil must meet a ZF specification, but
what does that mean?   Ask the guy at the parts store counter what MIL-L-2105
(A) spec is, and you'll get a slack jaw and a glassy stare.

You need to look in the PANTERA owner's manual.   It's right there--7 1/2
US pints of SAE 80 AP GL5 (or Agip F.1 Rotra MP SAE 90 for the Euro market).
 A good 80-90W GL5 is what you want.