[DeTomaso] Radiator Fans Running Constantly

sobill at aol.com sobill at aol.com
Thu Apr 10 10:55:06 EDT 2014

What you say is correct if neither of the two sensor terminals is grounded. One terminal on the sensor is connected to the radiator structure which may, or may not, provide a good ground connection and the other terminal closes to the first terminal when the temperature set point is reached. For the grounding of the sensor to not be dependent on the radiator structure, a ground wire is provided for each relay as well as the wire from the low side of the fan relay coil. However, IF the radiator structure is grounded and the wire from the low side of the fan relay is connected to the grounded terminal on the sensor, the fans will run at all times. I learned this by connecting my fan wires the wrong way around when I installed my newly rebuilt radiator. To fix this problem, swap the two wires at the sensor.

SOBill