[DeTomaso] Radiator Fans Running Constantly

Larry - Ohio Time Larry at ohiotimecorp.com
Wed Apr 9 15:58:28 EDT 2014

Hi Mike,

The Temp sensors can fail open (contacts always open) or closed (contacts
always closed).

I would first disconnect the 2 sensor wires and turn the key to see if the
fans run.

If they do your problem is most likely in the relay.

If they do not run the temp sensor is most likely bad.

The temp sensor is nothing more then a temp controlled switch. It can be
tested with a simple test light. Apply + voltage to one tab and place the
test light on the other tab (make sure the test light has a good ground by
touching it to the first tab to see it light up). If it is cold the light
should not be on. As the water heats up to the temp of the switch, it will
close and the light will come on.

By connecting the two temp sensor wires together it should close the relay
and start the fan.

Most of this can be tested with the key just on. Remember some ignition
systems do not like to be turned on for long periods of time without the
motor running. You may want to unplug it.

Larry - Cleveland