[DeTomaso] Any experience with Marino's offset control arm bushings to increase caster?

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Wed Apr 2 16:45:44 EDT 2014

Dear Ken and Dave,

              About twenty years ago, Dennis Quella told me about the
offset bushings.  At that time in the Pre-Cambrian Era there were no
"factory" off set bushings and you had to make your own.   The first set
I did went on Pantera No. One and I got about 3 degrees positive caster.
I wasn't happy with that and pulled then off and had a custom upper A
arm fabricated for more caster.

              I liked the caster benefits so much that I decided I would
convert the old tired rubber bushings on Pantera No. Two to the poly
bushings and I would apply the hacksaw to the the poly with more vigor.
One cuts off as much of the thick end as you dare and then make up the
difference on the other end with appropriately sized fender washers.
Apparently, I hit it on the nose and the alignment shop documented an
impressive positive five degrees caster.  Despite the rather aggressive
modification of the bushing into a really serious offset bushing, it has
held up over twenty years and thousands of miles.

              One caveat: with positive caster of 4 to 5 degrees
positive and wide tires and stock Pantera fenders, it *is* possible to
have the tire kiss the outer front fender lip.....with unpleasant
results.  If you go for the big caster and big tires, then be sure you
roll the fender lip and an early visit to a body man for some very
discrete and gentle fender edge "adjustment" is advised.

                           The Positive Castor Ambassador,  Chuck Engles