[DeTomaso] Any experience with Marino's offset control arm bushings to increase caster?

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Wed Apr 2 15:53:19 EDT 2014

With all the upper ball-joint shims on one side PLUS offset upper a-arm bushings, the total negative caster will be around -4.6 or so degrees. If you need more than that, also installing offset LOWER a-arm bushings (offset the other way) adds another couple of negative degrees. Having a machine shop mill about 0.080"-or-so off one side of the upper ball joint carrier can add yet another degree (you'll then need a new 0.080" thick shim). Once the bushings are in place, you can fine-tune the caster setting by moving upper ball-joint shims around. But remember- as caster goes up (negative), steering effort also goes up. Corvettes and other high-speed sports cars run a maximum of -7 degrees caster, but they also use power steering to lessen the resulting steering wheel load.

Judy and I find that - 4.5 degrees is an excellent compromise in our '72L with 245-50 front tires over the maximum stock setting of about -2.6 degrees. And after everything is done, the front wheels will definitely need to be re-aligned. While this is going on, check front brake hose routing so no tire rubbing occurs, and that large tires do not contact the right side wiper shield at full-lock.  I've had offset upper bushings in place so long on our car, I can't remember how it steered before.