[DeTomaso] starter electrical system problem

Doug Scott doug at pickbbs.com
Tue Sep 24 17:45:46 EDT 2013

If an engine has too much timing at idle, it will do what you described.  If
you listen real close as well, you may even hear it ping during that near
stopped cranking.  Nothing to do with fuel in cylinder when engine shut
off(just about every non-FI engine will do that every time it gets shut
off).  The easy way to see if the reason for slow cranking is to pull coil
wire and see if it still behaves that way.  I would not be surprised to see
a high compression engine do that on low octane fuel and a hot engine..

Doug