[DeTomaso] what should I have done while the car's in the shop?

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Mon Sep 23 19:56:02 EDT 2013

This is also a follow-up on the "starter system problem" thread.  I had my son turn the key and the relay/ solenoid on the firewall was definitely the source of the buzzing-- I could feel it as well as hear it. But I replaced that item and the buzzing is unchanged.  Also, when the starter is engaged the battery voltage drops to 3.5v or something, from which I concluded the starter has a short to ground and the relay/solenoid is freaking out from all the current going thru it. (What a great 60's term.) :-)

I planned to have some maintenance / update work which I can't / don't want to do done before the Fun Rally next year anyway, so I guess I may as well just have the car flat-bedded to a shop

Last time I spoke with Steve Wilkinson about replacing the timing chain / gear set he recommended replacing the water pump while we were there since there would no extra labor for that.

So at this point I think the car needs

1) starter motor
2) timing chain / gear set
3) water pump
4) check harmonic balancer for condition, replace if necessary.

Anything else I should have done while it's there?

Jim