[DeTomaso] starter electrical system problem

thomas thomas at hax.se
Sun Sep 22 17:41:23 EDT 2013

The old 351c starter technically does not have a (separate) solenoid. It is using the magnetic field of the stator to move the gear so that it meshes with the flywheel gear.

Personally I refer to the thing on the firewall as a "starter relay". To me a solenoid does mechanical work, like the solenoid on non-Ford (or modern Ford) starters, where it moves the gear. It so happens that it also doubles as a relay that connects power to the starter motor after the gears have meshed up properly.

Thomas