[DeTomaso] starter electrical system problem

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Sep 22 15:01:53 EDT 2013

In a message dated 9/22/13 11 29 57, pantdino at aol.com writes:

> Ok, for my education:
>
>  Two things have to happen when you engage a starter motor:
>
>  1) the starter motor gear has to be engaged in the teeth of the flywheel
>  2) the starter motor has to turn
>
>  AFAIK the starter motor is not engaged all the time with the flywheel.
>  So what are you calling the thing that moves the starter motor gear out
> to engage the flywheel if its not a solenoid?
>

>>>That's the Bendix drive.   That's what I told you is shot in your
starter.

The thing that moves the gear in and out is an inertial, NOT an electrical
device.   When the starter motor starts spinning, inertia propels the gear
out to engage the ring gear on the flywheel.   When the engine starts, the
flywheel basically ejects the starter gear back into the starter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bendix_drive

What is happening with your starter (I'm guessing from 400 miles away) is
that the Bendix drive has crapped out.   You turn the key, your perfect
solenoid does its job perfectly, sends power down to the starter, which starts
spinning merrily.   The Bendix drive does nothing because it's done broke, and
the gear just spins around and around, making the sound you're hearing.

While it's possible to have a starter rebuilt and repaired, when you
consider the low cost and higher starting torque of a modern aftermarket starter
(complete with built-in solenoid), and the lower weight, and the MUCH easier
servicing (you'll have to remove the header to get a stock starter out, I
would imagine, while the small ones are much easier to get in and out), it
makes no sense to do anything but replace it.

That is, assuming my long-distance diagnosis is correct.   It is incredibly
easy to determine it in person.   Have somebody turn the key while you have
your head near the starter (you can see it from above climbing into the
trunk).   If the solenoid closes and the starter makes noise, the problem is
not the solenoid.   If there is nothing coming from the starter and tortured
sounds from the firewall, then the problem is the solenoid.

Cheers!