[DeTomaso] The Pantera Wedding

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 19 16:48:28 EDT 2013

 << His first concern was that his son had never driven a manual transmission car much less the Pantera. >>

 << He had never driven the car on the street, only in the parking lot when he learned to drive a stick. >>>

And THIS is why I let my kids drive my cars.  My 17 year old daughter wanted to learn to do a burnout earlier this year, so we took the 66 Mustang out to a large deserted parking lot with no lamp posts or planter boxes one evening where I taught her the correct technique to do a burnout (never side-step the clutch).  I demonstrated a couple of times and then put her behind the wheel. She stalled it the first couple of tries, but then got it!  I let her do 5-6 nice burnouts, then had her do some donuts to see how the car felt when it slid.  She drove home with an ear to ear perma-grin!

The day I got the Pantera back on the road  few weeks ago, after it's 5 year engine rebuild, she wanted to go for a ride and was 'joking' that she wanted to drive it.  So, I took her for a ride and  found a nice industrial park area with little or no traffic, wide streets, and not too far from home, and let her drive. I insisted she do a couple of quick take-off's and stops, as well as stab the gas while we're rolling along in 2nd gear, to get a good sense of how the car feels and responds and how different it is from our other cars.  Another perma-grin!  And texts to her brother and sister who are away at college that she got to drive the Pantera first!

It's our responsibility to share these great cars and our automotive passion with the next generation. Otherwise, who will we pass the torch to?

Cheers!
Garth

Tom Shinrock tmshinro at aol.com
Thu Sep 19 13:02:34 MST 2013

I've got a similar story. First an aside.....When my two sons were learning to drive I taught them to drive a manual transmission with the Pantera.   I figured that the torque would make it easier because it would be hard to kill the engine if the clutch was released a little too quickly.   We went out to a large parking lot where I worked on a Sunday and within 30 minutes they had it down.  Now on to the story. Back in 2002 my oldest asked if he could take the Pantera on this senior prom date.   I was initially reluctant.  I told him that he would be adding to the stress level driving the car and it would put a damper on his prom experience.   He had never driven the car on the street, only in the parking lot when he learned to drive a stick.  He reassured me that he could handle it and it wouldn't ruin his date, so I said yes. I drove the car to the high school for the grand march and after it was over he and his date took the car and drove it to our
 house where they were meeting up with some other seniors for pictures before they drove to a restaurant for dinner prior to the dance.   You should have seen his face when he drove away in the car from the high school.   He made it back home just fine and all the mandatory pictures were taken.  When they were getting ready to leave for the restaurant, which was all the way on the other side of town, I told him to take the highway that goes around the city so he wouldn't have to drive in stop and go traffic.   All the kids pile into their cars and my son leads the way in the Pantera.  I watched the Pantera disappear in the distance and thought about how neat my son was feeling. I actually was attending a father-daughter campout about 30 miles away that weekend and came into town for the picture session and to see him off.   After he left I got in the car and headed back to the campground.   I was about half way to the campground when my son calls me and
 said the Pantera broke.  He said he came to the second stop sign and the car wouldn't move when he let out the clutch.   He said it was parked on the side of the highway.   I told him to catch a ride with one of the other cars so he could make his dinner reservation and I would turn around look at the car.   He was understandably upset.   I told him to not let it ruin his evening and have a good time. He had only driven less than 5 miles from the house.  I found the car on the left shoulder of the divided highway.  I went to start it and it fired right up.  I put the car in gear and let out the clutch and nothing.  It was as if there was no clutch.   Luckily it was very close to home.   I went home and got his mom and I took our van back with a tow strap.   The car was very close to a cross over so it was a simple matter of hooking up the tow strap and pulling it across the highway and back home.   Since the highway was divided four lane I didn't have
 to worry about holding up traffic and we only had to go on the highway for about a mile before we turned off to go on the back county road to our house.   Not a bad tow at all. After I got the car home I noticed that the transaxle inspection hole cover was missing.  I went back to the intersection to see if I could find it and I was looking for the telltale black stripes on the road from a burnout that blew the clutch.  I didn't see any stripes and I couldn't find the cover either.   I went back to the campground and finished up the weekend with me daughter. When I got back home on Sunday evening I started the interrogation with me son.   I asked him if he had tried to get scratch by popping the clutch.  He said no..that the clutch just quick working after he pulled away from the stop sign.   I had my doubts about his story but had no evidence to disprove it.   I had the car shipped to Cory Gehling (about 200 miles) to have him fix it.   I explained
 what I thought had happened and that this was the orginal clutch that came with the car when I bought it 15 years prior.  Up to that point I had no clutch problems. When he looked into it he said that I had a rear main leak and the clutch fragments were soaked with oil.   He thought that the clutch had been getting oil on it from the leak and it finally decided to let go when my son was driving the car.   He suggested that my son's driving probably didn't have direct cause on the failure so just chalked it up to one of those things (although I still was suspicious).   I had him replace the seal and put in a new clutch and everything was good after that. Seeing my son's expression as he drove away in the Pantera was worth the pain and expense after the years past.  It was a once in a lifetime experience for him....and his date was duly impressed! Tom
5186 p.s.   My second son was a year behind his brother and when his prom came around he asked me if he could drive the Pantera.   I told him that he didn't need the kind of stress his brother went through the prior year and he would probably be better of if he didn't.   I offered him the use of my Porsche 944T if he could show me that he could drive it.  Remember that he learned to drive a manual with the Pantera and all its grunt two years prior and hadn't driven a stick since.  The 944T has nowhere near the torque off of idle and the clutch is trickier than the Pantera.   We went out to test drive the Porsche and he repeatedly killed the car when he took off from a stop.   After about 30 minutes it wasn't getting much better so I told him to do himself a favor and just take his mom's car and have good time. -----Original Message-----