[DeTomaso] Wild GT40 qualifying video

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Sep 18 12:33:15 EDT 2013

In a message dated 9/18/13 8 29 31, damaadams at aol.com writes:

> Newey's car has seen significant damage in the past. Newey himself
> stuffed the car in major fashion not too long ago.
>
>>>I was there at Le Mans Classic 2006; he suffered brake failure at the
top of 5th gear coming down the Mulsanne straight.   There are a pair of
chicanes made with substantial barrels etc. and he went straight into them at
full speed:

http://grandprixinsider.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/newey-adrian-gt40-crash.
jpg

He was miraculously unhurt; as you can see in this photo, he's on the right
and looking none too pleased with himself:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2752/4096063874_eaf719ddd5_z.jpg?zz=1

Here it is on the truck afterwards, looking rather secondhand:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/145/image0294on.jpg/

I got there a moment after this photo was taken and crewmembers had covered
the car with a cover, so I didn't get good photos myself.   But I could see
that the damage to the right side of the car (driver's side in this case)
was even more substantial.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u216/lynxd67/Le%20Mans%20Classic/RedBullG
T40.jpg

But his pockets are deep enough, and there is enough talent in England to
rebuild such a thing, and it didn't take very long at all to get it right
back into tip-top condition; it has been routinely and aggressively raced ever
since.