[DeTomaso] Fifth Gear Change?

John Buckman jb841 at cox.net
Sun Sep 15 14:08:05 EDT 2013

Corey,

If you will be doing a lot of highway (5th gear) driving, I would make the 5th gear change.  RPM at 70mph will
drop 300rpm, and the cockpit will be slightly quieter too.  Fifth gear acceleration will be a little slower (as Charlie
pointed out) than with the 0.704 fifth gear, as this may not put the your engine "on the cam" for typical highway
speeds (but there is always 4ht gear! ).

Something that you may not be aware of, is that you will need to mill a slot in one of the shift shafts for the larger
diameter 0.620 fifth gear.  I forget which one of the shafts it is, but it will be obvious once you are "in there".

John