[DeTomaso] Really bad day

Boyd Casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 13:34:27 EDT 2013

It's to late for you to take advantage of advice concerning what to do at
the time of an accident but it is a good time for everyone else to
reevaluate your insurance coverage and have an understanding and  a plan of
what to do if you are involved in an accident.
1. Always go to the hospital directly from the scene of an accident *IN AN
AMBULANCE*  ( unless it is really an insignificant accident ) if there is
any question err on the side a potential injury.
2.
Never apologize or admit fault even if it looks like you are 1000% at
fault..
Generally speaking  a car is considered totaled
*If the repair cost is greater then the replacement value the car. *
Since most estimates are generally lower then the actual repair costs if
the initial estimate is within 70-75% of the replacement value the
insurance company will write the car off as a total loss. This is why it is
imperative to have an insurance policy that has an* "Agreed upon Value". *Just
imagine if your car were totaled and you didn't have an *agreed upon value *.
The insurance company could pull out the episode of "Fast and Loud"  and
say a 1972 Pantera with 16,000 miles just sold for $17,000!.
The time to worry about and prepare for these type issues is way before you
ever need them.
After a careful examination of your car  and it's value to you or another
Pantera enthusiast, you can determine if the car is worth buying back from
the insurance company after they have paid you off for your agreed upon
insurance value. You can then part the car out, use it to rebuild a
replacement Pantera   or sell it to someone building a Pantera that will
pay you more then someone would pay at a salvage auction.
It is important to remember that insurance companies will always try to pay
you the least amount possible and you have to be on your toes to maximize
your return (or minimize your loss) depending on how you look at it.
Remember generally speaking you are going to have to fight for every nickel.

Boyd
*
*