[DeTomaso] Clutch and pressure plate?

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Sep 12 17:39:06 EDT 2013

Jerry wrote:

> Getting ready to replace the clutch and pressure plate that is in my '73
> L.  The C&P was replaced last year.  Unfortunately with a mustang C&P.
> It makes odd noises.  Just looking, Summit has one fro 425.00 shipped
> included, the vendors that I looked were asking 650 plus.  Am I missing
> something???
>
> Looking for a deal that will fit.

>>>bingo. That's what you're missing.

You can buy a clutch for something else for $425 again, or you can buy a clutch that fits a Pantera for more than that.

McLeod and Centerforce are the only two outfits I know of that make clutches for a Pantera. They are basically the same, except Centerforce doesn't fit on a Ford flywheel so you either have to redrill yours for their odd bolt pattern ($$$) or buy a new Centerforce flywheel. ($$$$$).

I prefer a bolt up McLeod clutch. You can buy direct from McLeod but you won't save much, if anything. Their diaphragm clutch requires a new throw out bearing ($$) which is probably the extra cost you are being quoted by the vendors. I don't think their three-finger stock style clutch needs it though.

Call PPC in Colorado and they will explain all your options. I ship a dozen or more McLeod clutches to overseas folks each year and most opt for the standard single disc, diaphragm style clutch with new throw out bearing. No complaints so far. Lori has it in her car and it is noticeably softer than the three-finger McLeod in my car.