[DeTomaso] Le Mans Classic 2014

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 14:19:34 EDT 2013

Hi all

Summer is drawing to a closer, summer vacation is over and there are no more
holidays to look forward to in the near future, so it's time to start
dreaming again of future adventures.

It appears that I'm not the only one, as in the past 10 days I've received
e-mails from a rather large number of people asking about Le Mans 2014, so
instead of answering one-by-one, I'm sending this e-mail to the DeTomaso
Forum, and BCC-ing those who have expressed interest or have participated in
the past.

Le Mans Classic is scheduled for July 4-6, 2014. Barring something
unexpected, the World Famous DeTomaso Club of Spain will plan a tour during
the days leading up to the event. It would either start on Saturday, June 28
or Sunday June 29 at some point in France remaining to be determined.

1) For those planning on camping at Le Mans, you can begin making
arrangements already. I have a block of 40 sites reserved in my name. You
should send an e-mail to sales at justtickets.co.uk and tell them that you are
part of our group. They will need a deposit by the end of the year, with the
remainder to be paid in 2014. Any sites without a deposit will be released
by year end.

2) It is important to reserve the camp site ahead of time as it sells out
far in advance of the event, and when the tickets are gone, they are gone.
General Entry and Paddock Passes are unlimited, so you can decide later if
you are unsure. Note that 2 general entry tickets are required for every
campsite. Paddock Passes are optional, but highly recommended.

3) The camping pass is good for one car, 2 people. This gives you a small
amount of real estate in the camping area - sufficient for your car and a
normal tent. Not for Gordon-Smith MASH hospital sized tents.

4) If you will be roughing it in a hotel, I'd highly suggest you begin
looking now. My mom will be attending, and she had tremendous difficulty
finding a hotel available in Le Mans for the event weekend. There may be
something organized by the French Pantera Connection - in the past they have
reserved a hotel that is 30-40 minutes away from the track or so. If you
decide to stay there you can always cancel your own reservation, but be
aware that hotel rooms become scarce a very long time before the event

5) I'm browsing the tour guides and Internet looking for inspiration for a
theme or something particularly worthwhile for this year and would welcome
suggestions, especially from the veterans. This will be the 6th time that
Amaya and I spend a week in the Loire, and while it is a fantastic place
we've seen the most spectacular chateaux in the area. I'd love to do
something like the year we began in Normandy and saw Mont Saint Michel, etc
and then descended to the Loire. I'm looking at the Dordogne area, but would
welcome other ideas. I'd be interested in feedback from the Northern
Europeans especially if touring the Dordogne would make their drive too long
for them to consider attending. You can google it, but it's an extra 4-5
hours past Le Mans that you'd have to travel. I'd like to explore a new
area, but the tour is about people and I'd rather "settle" for hanging out
in the Loire Valley with everyone instead of seeing a new area that is too
far away for many people.

6) If you are thinking of attending, please reply to this e-mail and I'll
put your name on the mailing list for future information. I'll begin working
on the details in earnest in October/November, and will send out information
as it becomes available. If you have any questions regarding the LMC event,
the tour, hotels, travel, or whatever don't hesitate to write.

Photos of previous events may be found on the POCA webpage as listed in my
electronic signature, which gives an idea of what the event is about. Thanks
all, and we'll keep in touch!

Charles McCall
Raising Pantera Awareness Across Europe
1985 DeTomaso Pantera #9375