[DeTomaso] Ford 392 rev limit?

Boyd Casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 11:52:17 EDT 2013

I know I've been beating a dead horse as far as this post goes but I wanted
to clarify one thing. I never said nor meant to imply that you couldn't
have a Windsor engine ( or any other pushrod engine) that wasn't capable of
operating at high Rpm levels of 7,8 ,9k or greater IF it was built with the
proper components to achieve and maintain those rpm levels. In this
particular case Jeff Cobb was asking for advice on the RPM limit he could
run the engine he was asking about. The problem was and is that we don't
know the particulars of all the components that Corey just mentioned. We do
know the typical stroke for a 392 Windsor  so we can determine the average
piston speed for that build. Since there are published piston speed limits
for different levels of crank construction ( as posted by Dan Jones) we can
determine what a safe RPM limit should be based on the information we have
at hand. I would rather err on the side of safety ( of not giving advice
that may result in a blown engine) then assume the engine was built to a
higher standard ,especially when so many are not.
Boyd