[DeTomaso] Ford 392 rev limit?

Corey Price coreyjprice at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 01:33:53 EDT 2013

I don't want to beat a dead horse.

I thought that there are a lot of factors in determining the maximum safe RPM of any engine, with some being:

1.  Valve float.
2.  Rod bolt capacity and fatigue limit.  I understand the greatest load on the rods is actually when the piston reverses direction and the piston is pulled toward the crank, putting the rod in tension.  This is directly related to the piston momentum (speed-related).
3.  Crank strength and toughness, meaning the fatigue limit and the tensile strength at a given strain.  Most cast cranks have limited toughness, which is why forged cranks are used for their increased capacity to deform without breaking.  Again, this is related to the piston momentum (speed-related).
4.  Piston capacity to resist the cyclical loading.
5.  Block strength and fatigue limit.
6.  Oiling system capacities and limitations.
7.  Cylinder wall strength.

Did I forget anything?  Any of these could be the limiting factor as I understand it.

Corey