[DeTomaso] Duraspark I

Forest Goodhart forestg at att.net
Fri Sep 6 19:55:15 EDT 2013

I've got a question regarding the duraspark I wiring. All the diagrams I have seen show that power from the run post on the ignition switch comes in on the red wire and power from the start circuit comes in on the white wire. In trouble shooting a system today we had power on the red wire and power on the white wire as noted above at the connector feeding the module but the engine would not start. We then noticed that the red wire actually connects to the white wire on the module and the white to red (male side of plug reverse of female side). By disconnecting the plug and installing a jumper from red to red the engine fired up. The first thought was that the NEW module had the wires in the plug installed incorrectly. Comparing the new to the old however shows that it also reversed the wire colors across the plug. Since the car ran for years with the old module it did not seem prudent to cut and change the wires. We opened yet another new module and it
 also reverses the red and white wires across the plug. We went ahead and hooked up the newest module and the car fired right up with the red power wire connected to the white wire into the module.
I guess we should not fix it since this is the way it has worked for years but why would Ford reverse the wires? Even in the Ford wiring diagram it shows the run power connected to the red input.
Would like to hear from anyone who has any insight.
Forest