[DeTomaso] Ford 392 rev limit?

Boyd Casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 23:34:02 EDT 2013

Rich,
That's the cool thing about owning and driving your own car , if you throw
a rod and have a hole the size of a grapefruit in your block you get to
take all the credit for it. There's nothing wrong with running your engine
in the 6k and 7 k rpm range if it was built for those rpm ranges. According
to Ford a stock Windsor 351 has a 5500  rpm redline. If you stroke a stock
Windsor and the only thing you change is the crank and connecting rods your
not going to have an engine that can run between 6500 and 7000 rpm for any
length of time . Mad dawg runs his 377 ci stroked cleveland at 7000 rpm for
the entire Silver state and has only caught on fire once! But he has a
professionally built race engine. Driving an engine at the limits that it's
designers have built it for is not babying it, in fact trying to run a
motor at RPM's 1000 to 1500 above what the engineers at ford recommend ( as
in a stock Windsor) is childish . It's like using a hammer to drive a screw
it might work but it's not going to work consistently and sooner then later
something is going to break.   Your engine was obviously built to a higher
standard then a stock Windsor . A boss 302 could rev to 8000 rpm a Honda
2000s has a 9000 rpm redline, a formula 1 engine revs to 18000 rpm. The
point is all these engines were built and engineered to operate and
withstand the stresses associated with operating at their respective piston
speeds since the only thing we know about the engine in question is that it
has been stroked to 393 ci and without knowing what kind of crank,
connecting rods and if it ha s solid lifters one has to assume that
operating it at RPM's above 6000 would not be prudent  . Since the person
who wrote. The first post was asking for advice telling him " not to baby
it" would be irresponsible , unless your going to pay for a rebuild  when
it blows up because he followed your advice.
Boyd