[DeTomaso] Vintage racing the Pantera

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Sep 3 21:25:00 EDT 2013

In a message dated 9/3/13 16 38 18, rfmccall at comcast.net writes:

> Does anyone know of any Panteras that are being or have been vintage
> raced with SVRA or similar?
>
> It looks like most of their groups require DOT tires. I think that it
> would be VERY hard to find a usable
>
> tire in the correct sizes for a Gp4 Pantera.
>

>>>Dale Eriksen has been running his factory Gr3 Pantera with SVRA for
years.   He runs Hoosier R6 race tires, 225/50 and 275/50-15.   He didn't bring
it to Arizona this year, instead running his street Pantera with ancient BFG
street tires.

It is very easy to find DOT legal race tires for Gr4-sized wheels.
Michelin makes the TB15 in sizes that equate to 295/40 and 335/35.   They are a
perfect fit on a GT5 or Gr4.   But your car isn't equipped with Gr4 flares or
super-wide wheels and therefore Dale's tires would be perfect for you.
They are readily available from Tire Rack etc.   They also offer a 245/50 if
you want a bit more meat in the front, although clearance can sometimes be an
issue with tires that large, and the front fender flares may need to be
massaged outwards somewhat.