[DeTomaso] NPC - jump starting a car

Doug Scott doug at pickbbs.com
Sun Sep 1 17:18:14 EDT 2013

I have no doubts that your way works.  Sometimes people do things a certain
way because it is learned at a young age, and just becomes habit.

When I was young I was told that when you connect booster cables, do it in a
way that never creates a spark near the top of a battery.  Reason for that
was because batteries give off hydrogen gas when being charged or
discharged.  Hydrogen is explosive (remember Hindenburg?), and when
connecting anything to the battery terminals that create a spark may also
create a fire or explosion.

My preferred way is to first remove and clean battery connections on both
dead and good batteries.  Then connect positive cable to dead battery, then
other end of positive cable to good battery.  Take the ground cable, and
attach it to a good ground on the engine of boosting vehicle, and then
connect other end to good ground point on engine of dead battery vehicle.
If car will not crank properly, disconnect ground cable from boosting car
and start the boosting vehicle.  Reconnect ground cable on boosting car.

One thing that most people get wrong is how to remove a battery.  You
disconnect the negative first, then the positive.  Reason for this is simply
because once the negative is removed, you can remove the positive cable
without any fear of wrench slipping and hitting the body of the car,
shorting the battery to ground.  If the negative cable is removed, you can
hold the wrench from the positive connection directly against the body,
chassis even the engine and it will not short out the battery.

I too am basing this on near 40 years licensed auto mechanic experience.

doug