[DeTomaso] Early Pantera features

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Oct 27 18:09:34 EDT 2013

In a message dated 10/27/13 10 54 31, detomasoregistry at gmail.com writes:

> Also note the rear luggage tray does NOT have the typical “bigger than the
> later car”  AC condenser buldge.
>
>>>That's not, strictly speaking, 'typical'.   That's only found on the
very early US cars that went through the Bill Stroppe retrofit.

All the early Panteras (both US and Euro) originally had a trunk with
almost no bulge, and a Mangusta A/C condensor setup, which (on the Mangusta)
consisted of an open condensor, the same fan, no shroud, and the fan was
supported by three pieces of all-thread rod heated and bent in a 90-degree angle!
At least with the Pantera they conjured up a halfway-decent mounting
scheme.

That whole system didn't work worth a damn, apparently, and so the early US
cars were retrofitted with the cone-shaped A/C setup.   Stroppe hacked a
hole in the back of the tub and grafted on the huge (much bigger than
necessary) secondary piece to clear it.

I am going to try to attach photos of the A/C setup on 1256, an original
Euro pushbutton that has similar specifications to the car in question.

And here is the stock trunk, with the carpet removed so you can easily see
the small hump: